BUYING YOUR PORK:*
You are paying for Bluestem Acres Farm to raise a pig for you and deliver the pig to the processor once it reaches market weight. You are required to pick up the meat and pay for the processor’s fee yourself, as well as communicate with the processor about how you want your pig cut up. There’s a lot of information here, so be sure to ask any questions you have!
A sample of cuts is shown on The Butcher page.
- Overall price will vary depending on the exact weight of your pig at slaughter time.
- You will owe $4.75* per pound hanging weight to me, payable in two parts: a $400 non-refundable deposit and the balance to due before or at the time of meat pickup.
- You will owe a slaughter fee and $0.85 per pound hanging weight to Northwest Meat Center* on the day you pick up your meat, plus any other fees. I am not in charge of processor fees, and they are subject to change. I will let you know as soon as I know if they change.
- If you are splitting your pig with someone else, one person must be chosen to be the one who pays me. You can work out collecting the money between yourselves, and then one person does the paying for each whole pig.
- *Price is subject to change.*
- I aim for a live weight of around 250-300 pounds per pig. This results in approximately 180-250 pounds hanging weight and 120-160 pounds of stuff for your freezer.
- The pigs live at Bluestem Acres Farm until the day they go to the processor. You are welcome to visit at any time and are encouraged to ask any and all questions you have about their care.
- The pigs’ diet is pasture forage, supplemented with NON-GMO feed.
- If you have any questions about the care of the pigs, please ask.
- The pick up date will be given to you at least two weeks ahead of time.
- You need 2-3 large coolers. The meat is already frozen when you pick it up, so you don’t need extra ice. You just pack it in coolers and then head home.
- I am not responsible for any cutting errors made by the butcher.
- Northwest Meat Center does not cure ham and bacon.
- Some things could result in your pig needing to be processed prior to the weight goal. A broken leg is an example. In this case, you will still be responsible for the hanging weight prices to me and the processor, but these amounts would be much smaller than estimated, and you would get less meat than expected.
- If you are unable to pay the remaining balance on your pig, you do not get a refund of your deposit, nor do you get your pig or the meat. You are free to try to find someone else who wants to buy your pig or split it with you. It is up to you to work something out with the other party.
*If you have preference for another processor, we can deliver there. Depending on distance, we might have to include a delivery fee.
*For current information visit the Purchase Page